When you get dental veneers, they can really improve the appearance of your teeth by covering any flaws. So, it is only natural to wonder if you will have your dream smile for long — and how long, exactly. If you are wondering: how long do veneers last? Carry on reading!
How Long Do Veneers Last?
Generally, porcelain veneers can last up to 15 years, and composite resin veneers have a lifespan of 7 years. However, you can ensure they last longer by adhering to proper care. How long your veneers last also depends on the material!
Times You Will Need to Replace Your Dental Veneers
As beneficial as the veneers are, the time when they will need replacement is bound to come. Your dental veneers will not last forever, and they will exhibit certain symptoms when they reach their life expectancy. Sometimes, though, you may need to replace them earlier than expected. The reasons behind it include:
- Chipped or Worn Down: If you accidentally crack your veneers, they will need to be replaced. Accidents, falling face down, using your teeth to open packages, and other factors can lead to chipped veneers.
- Decay in Supporting Tooth: Veneers may be durable, but the tooth it is covering is not. It is possible that the tooth is affected by decay, which means that the veneer will start pulling away. Visit your dentist if this happens!
- Poor Dental Hygiene: When you have dental veneers, you will need to keep up with your dental hygiene even more. If not, they can develop stains, and other issues can take place, too.
- Gum Disease: You will need new veneers if you have periodontal disease, which creates a gap between the veneers and your gums.
- Improper Fitting: Veneers can fall off if they are not fitted properly. You should visit your dentist and ask them to address the issue so you can have properly fitted veneers.
- Wrong Size: It is possible that the veneers were not the required size, which led to them falling off. You’ll need to consult your dentist right away!
How to Make Veneers Last Longer
Once you get your veneers, you will never want to take them off! One sure way to do that is to make sure you are following all the necessary aftercare instructions. Here are some ways your veneers can last longer:
- Practice good oral hygiene.
- Wear a mouthguard when you engage in physical activity.
- Avoid using your teeth as tools, such as opening containers, biting into your nails, and more.
- Work on getting treatment for your teeth grinding.
- Visit your dentist for regular check-ups!
Veneers are a worthy investment, and they last up to 15 years, depending on the material. You can ensure your veneers have a longer lifespan by practicing your oral hygiene, wearing a mouthguard, and following other aftercare instructions.