Is your dental cleaning appointment coming up? Or, perhaps, it is the first time you or your child is getting the teeth professionally cleaned; better late than never. It is a simple process that helps keep your mouth clean and free of bad bacteria, preventing you from potential tooth troubles. So, have you ever wondered: how long does a dental cleaning take?
How Long Does a Teeth Cleaning Take?
The time span of your dental cleaning procedure depends on your oral health. A dental cleaning session should take around 30 minutes for healthy and clean teeth. However, in case of poor oral health, cavities, and tartar buildup, the dental specialist might take around an hour for a dental cleaning procedure. So, in short, you will have to spend less time in the dentist’s chair if you take proper care of your oral hygiene.
Steps of Dental Cleaning
To know more about the procedure, you can read about the steps involved. Hence, your dentist will perform the following in your dental cleaning session:
- Examination: The dentist will start your dental cleaning process by examining the mouth with the help of a mirror. This helps them spot any oral problems and the areas that need attention during the cleaning session.
- Scaling: The dentist will work to clean your teeth with the help of a hook-shaped tool which is used to remove plaque and tartar. In this step, the dentist will clean the surface of the teeth as well as the area between the teeth and the near the gum line. Sometimes, the dentist uses an ultrasonic scaler, which utilizes the power of water and vibration to achieve the desired results. How long scaling takes depends on the amount of tartar and plaque present.
- Polishing & Flossing: After scaling, the dental hygienist will use a handheld electric tool and prophylaxis paste to polish the teeth. This helps prevent the buildup of plaque and tartar, also enhancing your teeth to look their best. Then, the dentist will floss your teeth to make sure no plaque or debris is left behind, as well as remove the paste from between your teeth.
- Fluoride: Sometimes, the dentist might recommend fluoride treatment when the teeth cleaning session is complete. This is because fluoride is a mineral that strengthens your teeth, making them healthier.
Reducing the Time Taken for Dental Cleaning
You may be wondering how to reduce the amount required for the cleaning without compromising the quality of the procedure. You can try the tips mentioned below:
- Filling out any required paperwork ahead of time
- Take a list of all supplements you take, be it prescription or non-prescription, to the appointment. Moreover, also list any recent or ongoing hospitalization or illness.
- Brushing and flossing your teeth regularly to keep your teeth healthy and strong.
- Visit the dentist for a dental cleaning session at least twice a year.
So, to conclude, a teeth cleaning session will take around 30 minutes to an hour or two, depending on your oral health. We make sure all your procedures are effective and use the best techniques to make your teeth healthy at Smiles Forever Dental. So, why the wait? Dial (661) 666-4433 to talk to us now or give us a visit at 27947 Sloan Canyon Rd, Castaic, CA 91384, United States.